Auburn Reportedly Made “A Late Push” For Jalen Hurts

first_imgjalen hurts during the national title game at alabamaSANTA CLARA, CA – JANUARY 07: Jalen Hurts #2 of the Alabama Crimson Tide warms up prior to the CFP National Championship against the Clemson Tigers presented by AT&T at Levi’s Stadium on January 7, 2019 in Santa Clara, California. (Photo by Christian Petersen/Getty Images)Jalen Hurts is headed to Oklahoma. The Alabama graduate transfer quarterback announced a short time ago that he will head to Norman for his final year of eligibility.Hurts chose the Sooners over Miami and Maryland. He’ll now try to follow in the footsteps of Oklahoma’s back-to-back Heisman winners, Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray.According to AL.com’s Matt Zenitz, another team did try to get involved with Hurts at the last minute. It doesn’t seem like he reciprocated their interest, but if he had, it would have been noteworthy.Per Zenitz, Auburn attempted “a late push” to get Hurts.Auburn tried to make a late push for Jalen Hurts, per sources. Gus Malzahn was in contact as recently as this week. https://t.co/U4xB5cxu4x— Matt Zenitz (@mzenitz) January 16, 2019Auburn needs a quarterback, so we can’t blame them for trying to land Hurts. However, it doesn’t seem like he would want to subject himself to the other side of the Alabama-Auburn rivalry after playing his first three years with the Crimson Tide.Ironically, Oklahoma quarterback Austin Kendall, who is seeking a transfer, visited Auburn earlier this week. There’s a chance the Tigers could wind up adding him as a consolation prize.Hurts completed 62.9 percent of his passes for 5,626 yards, 48 touchdowns and 12 interceptions in three seasons at Alabama. He added 1,976 rushing yards and 23 scores.last_img read more

DR Congo top UN humanitarian official condemns new terror and upheaval

30 April 2009The top United Nations humanitarian official today condemned a resurgence of violence against civilians in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), amid a serious of offensives against a Rwandan militia group. “People who have repeatedly been victims of violence in this region are yet again experiencing terror and upheaval,” John Holmes, Under Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs, said.Attacks and threats against civilians, in South Kivu province committed by the Democratic Forces for the Liberation of Rwanda (FDLR), comes in response to a planned new phase of Congolese army operations against the militia, he said. An estimated 100,000 people in South Kivu have been displaced by fear of armed groups since the beginning of the year, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).“In the event of intensified fighting between Government forces and armed groups in the weeks ahead, all armed actors in South Kivu must have as a top priority protection of civilians and their livelihoods,” he stressed, adding that they must also guarantee safe access for humanitarian workers.The FDLR and other Rwandan militias have also been a key factor in the resurgence of violence in North Kivu province, where another 100,000 civilians have been uprooted by fighting in the past two months, in addition to the many hundreds of thousands previously displaced.The ethnic Hutu rebels, who recently carried out a wave of retaliatory attacks against civilians after being targeted by a joint Congolese and Rwandan military offensive, have been operating in eastern DRC since the 1994 genocide of Tutsis and moderate Hutus in Rwanda.In FDLR-dominated areas of South Kivu, in recent weeks, more than a dozen villages have been pillaged and hundreds of houses set on fire, while in others, FDLR groups are forcing the population to provide them with food, OCHA said.Rape has also been on the increase in recent weeks – in areas under the control both of the FDLR and of the Congolese army (FARDC). “Women and girls are at the mercy of groups with horrendous records of sexual violence,” OCHA said in a news release.“Those committing violations of humanitarian law will have to answer for their crimes,” Mr. Holmes said, urging the Congolese Government to stop and punish abuses committed by its soldiers, and ensure the protection of civilians during these operations.Meanwhile, Alan Doss, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon’s Special Representative for DRC, has welcomed last week’s conviction and sentencing of 20 Congolese army officers by a military tribunal. The tribunal found that the 20 soldiers committed offences ranging from rape and armed robbery to crimes against humanity, according to the UN peacekeeping mission in the DRC (MONUC), which is led by Mr. Doss. Human rights experts from the mission monitored the trials, which took place in the north-eastern town of Walikale, to ensure they met international standards, and provided logistical and financial support, MONUC said. read more