New Delhi: In a major relief for Non-Resident Indians (NRI), Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman on Friday assured a quick issuance of Aadhaar cards for those holding Indian passports. Advertising “I propose to consider issuing Aadhaar Card for Non Resident Indians with Indian passports after their arrival in India, without waiting for the mandatory 180 days,” she said while presenting her maiden Budget in Parliament. Under the present rule, NRIs with Indian passport are required to wait for 180 days to get the Aadhaar card. As on May 31, 2019, the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) had generated a total of 123.82 crore Aadhaar to residents of the country.(Inputs from The Indian Express)
Placido Domingo laughs with members of the Rockettes at New York’s Radio City Music Hall, 1984Credit:AP “Still, it is painful to hear that I may have upset anyone or made them feel uncomfortable – no matter how long ago and despite my best intentions.”I believed that all of my interactions and relationships were always welcomed and consensual. People who know me or who have worked with me know that I am not someone who would intentionally harm, offend, or embarrass anyone.”However, I recognize that the rules and standards by which we are – and should be – measured against today are very different than they were in the past. I am blessed and privileged to have had a more than 50-year career in opera and will hold myself to the highest standards.” “However, we have a zero tolerance policy towards harassment of any kind and recently refreshed our code of conduct to ensure all staff and visiting artists abide by the rules at all times. “We also have a Safeguarding Manager to enforce compliance, as well as an anonymous whistleblowing service to ensure that any incidents of misconduct are escalated and independently investigated. “Anyone at the Royal Opera House who feels they have experienced harassment is able to report it safely in the knowledge that it will be investigated and due process followed in every case.”The updated code of conduct was issued in March to all staff and visiting artists. In a statement issued earlier this week, Domingo said: “The allegations from these unnamed individuals dating back as many as thirty years are deeply troubling, and as presented, inaccurate. A Royal Opera House production of Don Carlo in 2013 The Royal Opera House is to go ahead with planned star appearances from Plácido Domingo, despite American opera houses cancelling in the wake of sexual harassment allegations. The Covent Garden opera house said it had “not been made aware” of any accusations relating to the tenor’s time as an artist or conductor at the venue. Citing a “zero tolerance policy towards harassment of any kind”, it nevertheless confirmed that planned performances of Don Carlo in June and July next year would go ahead with Domingo playing Rodrigo, Marquis of Posa. Two US opera houses, the Philadelphia Orchestra and San Francisco Opera, have already cancelled performances by Domingo after the Associated Press published accusations of sexual harassment made by numerous women against him.The Los Angeles Opera opened an investigation into alleged events occurring during his time there. Domingo, 78, has rejected the allegations, calling them “deeply troubling and, as presented, inaccurate”. Placido Domingo conducts at a Metropolitan Opera RehearsalCredit:Getty Coming from eight singers and a dancer, all but one of whom are anonymous, the accusations span three decades and range from unwelcome touching to putting pressure on them to have sex.The Associated Press, which compiled the accounts, said that after decades of silence, women felt emboldened by the Me- Too movement which began in 2017 as an attempt to tackle sexual misconduct in the workplace.Domingo is due to appear at the Royal Opera House next summer for Sir Nicholas Hytner’s production of Don Carlo, a collaboration with Norwegian National Opera and the Metropolitan Opera in New York. The tenor made his Royal Opera debut as Cavaradossi (Tosca) in 1971 and has since sung 27 roles for the company.His latest appearances there saw him conduct Tosca in 2017/18, and sing Giorgio Germont in La traviata in 2018/19 last year. Asked about his upcoming performances, a spokesman for the Royal Opera House said: “The ROH has not been made aware of any accusations pertaining to Placido Domingo’s time as a visiting artist or conductor. Want the best of The Telegraph direct to your email and WhatsApp? Sign up to our free twice-daily Front Page newsletter and new audio briefings.