The Baggies emerged from the then Coca-Cola Championship along with Newcastle at the end of the 2009-10 season, and meetings between the pair have been hard-fought in recent seasons. Pardew said: “They are usually tight games and it’s difficult at their place. I always feel they score, West Brom, when they are home, so you have got to get two or three goals if you are going to win.” However, the Magpies turned in arguably one of their best performances of the campaign to win 3-1 at the Hawthorns two seasons ago on their way to a fifth-placed finish, although their manager believes the point with which they returned in April was even more important given the circumstances. Pardew said: “We were brilliant – and last year was even better because the point we got there was like gold-dust. It was a really tough game. “Actually, if someone had said to me before these two fixtures, ‘Would you take three points?’, I probably would have because they are tough games. “We have got a chance of getting those three points and I would be absolutely delighted if we could get three points at West Brom. I would look back on these two games and think, ‘That’s a good result’. “There are a lot of games to be played between now and the end of May, and we are in great shape. We lost on Sunday, but not in any manner which disturbs me.” Pardew has no fresh injury problems ahead of the game, but faces a series of decisions over how to give his side the best chance of winning. He restored Cheick Tiote to his engine room after suspension for the clash with the Gunners, but that meant a return to the bench for potential match-winner Hatem Ben Arfa, and the forward thrust the Frenchman provides could prove a potent weapon once again. Newcastle manager Alan Pardew will head into 2014 grateful to be doing so in far happier mood than he was 12 months ago. Press Association The 52-year-old entered 2013 having endured a dreadful November and December in the Barclays Premier League, winning just two of the 11 games his side played and taking only seven points from a possible 33 in the process. This time around, the Magpies collected 22 of the 30 points they contested during the corresponding period and will negotiate the turn of the year looking towards Europe rather than the Sky Bet Championship. Pardew said with a smile: “I feel like I am standing on top of the world at the moment compared to where I was last year. “You have to have faith in your ability and faith in the work that you do. “As a manager, you know you have ups and downs unless you are at one of the very, very big clubs and are fortunate enough to have the finance to have 22 full internationals, like Manchester City and Chelsea and Manchester United and Arsenal. “We haven’t got that luxury, so it’s not a great day every week, and you have to accept that.” Newcastle, of course, spent significantly during the January transfer window in a bid to stave off relegation, something they only just achieved as they limped over the line at the end of a demoralising season. But their summer dealings were minimal with loan signing Loic Remy the only man to be added to the senior ranks, much to the disbelief and annoyance of the club’s fans. However, Pardew, who had to fight for his job as disgruntled owner Mike Ashley took stock during the summer, rallied his troops and his reward has been a vastly-improved showing. As a result, the Magpies will run out at West Brom on New Year’s Day sitting in eighth place in the league table having only slipped out of the top six as a result of a 1-0 home defeat by leaders Arsenal on Sunday.
31 Jul 2020 Day Four – Men’s Amateur: The fairytale continues for golden oldie Wharton Paul Wharton admits he’s having to pinch himself after fighting through to the quarter finals of the English Men’s Amateur Championships at the ripe old age of 59.Wharton – who won his club championship at Woodhall Spa Golf Club on Saturday – now has a fighting chance of winning his national title after another day of heroics on his home patch.Having beaten England international Sam Bairstow on Thursday, Wharton followed it up with victories against Richard Cheetham and William Hopkins to make the last eight at the Lincolnshire venueDespite having scratched his eye putting in a contact lens in the morning forcing him to wear glasses on the course, Wharton continued to play with unerring accuracy.“The fairytale continues!’ joked Wharton as he contemplated a cold shower rather than a cool beer after a gruelling day of action.“I’ll be going home for a very early night.“I played solidly. The course was trickier today but I’m having to pinch myself that I’m still here.“I’ve exceeded expectations by a massive amount.“I don’t know about playing like a youngster, but you play to your strengths. I get it on the fairway and green and try not to waste shots – I can’t afford to.“This afternoon Will was 60/70 yards past me at times and I had to ignore it and focus on my own game.“But there’s no description column on a score card! I’m a very happy man.“I won’t get ahead of myself – it’s one round at a time.”The 3&2 afternoon victory over fellow Lincolnshire county player Hopkins was one of the highlights of another brilliant day’s play.Also through to the last eight are England internationals Joe Long and Sam Broadhurst.Long’s play has been impressive all week and he edged out Alex Dixon by a 2&1 margin.Broadhurst (pictured above) needed four extra holes to shake off the threat from fellow England player Charlie Thornton.Enrique Dimayuga won a tight game against Jake Bolton on the 17th while Callan Barrow from Royal Lytham and St Anne’s was a comprehensive 7&5 victor over Jake Walley.Sam Done, Jack Cope and Barclay Brown are also safely through to the quarters which will be played on Saturday morning before the semis follow in the afternoon.Sunday’s final will be 36 holes of match play on the Hotchkin Course at Woodhall Spa – the home of England Golf.Scores, videos, interviews, images and action can be found on the English Amateur Championships homepage.Photography: Leaderboard
Facebook2Tweet0Pin0Submitted Olympia High SchoolOn Monday, March 18, the Washington Center for the Performing Arts will host an event dedicated to promoting youth voice to end oppression in our community. It is also a night to celebrate the work of Dolores Huerta and support her foundation. This event aims to inspire positive change through students, adults, and organizations throughout Thurston County, and motivate the community to take action for a better future.The evening program in the main stage will begin at 7:00 p.m. featuring Dolores Huerta and voices of students who are leading the STAY WOKE Conference. Students from the Olympia and North Thurston School Districts will be leading this effort. Dolores Huerta, the keynote speaker, will talk about her life’s work fighting oppression. Her broad experience includes her work with the United Farm Workers, the women’s movement, and most recently the Dolores Huerta Foundation. Bria Smith, a student activist from the National March For Our Lives movement, will also be speaking. In addition, there will be student presentations featuring the Olympia High School Freedom Farmer program, a song dedicated to Martin Luther King from a River Ridge student, slam poetry from the local Louder than a Bomb Club, and clips from the documentary Dolores. Local nonprofits and social justice organizations will be tabling before the mainstage event from 5:30-7:00 to encourage community involvement among students and others. The objective of this event is to inspire youth voices for ending oppression in our community. With so many people feeling helpless, we want to equip, encourage and empower our students to take action to shape their world for the better. We want our youth and community to meet, and perhaps join the groups that are actively working – here and now – for positive change. We will inspire our youth and community to financially support these causes and grow leadership for a better future.Tickets are on a sliding scale based on what people feel they can afford. $50 is the suggested donation, $20 for most community members, and $10 for students. However, no one will be turned away for a lack of funds.This project was made possible through a grant from Teaching Tolerance, a project of the Southern Poverty Law Center.
Facebook269Tweet0Pin1Submitted by Thurston County Board of County CommissionersThurston County Emergency Management is urging residents – especially those living east of Durgin Road, Kuhlman Road, and Nisqually Cut-Off Road – to evacuate the area by 4:00 p.m. today due to expected flooding caused by an increase in the amount of water released from the LaGrande Dam. The peak height of the river is expected between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. today. The evacuation advisory could last until Saturday, February 8.A shelter has been established by the American Red Cross at the Gwinwood Camp and Conference Center (6015 30th Ave. SE Lacey, WA 98503) for those effected by the evacuation advisory. The shelter will open today at about 4 p.m. and is pet friendly and accessible for individuals with disabilities. Pets coming into the shelter must be crated and pet owners are encouraged to bring supplies such as food and water to care for them.The impacts of this incident include possible road closures and structure flooding. Currently, 6th Ave SE & Riverside Dr. SE are closed due to water over the roadway. The Mckenna Bridge in Yelm is still open and there is no plan to close the bridge at this time. Information on road closures in the county are available at: https://www.co.thurston.wa.us/publicworks/travelImpacts.html.The North Thurston School District has informed parents and guardians that they will not be dropping off students in the affected areas. Parents with students in the North Thurston School District who live in the affected areas must pick up their students from school.This incident is fluid and additional information will be shared through the county’s social media channels as it becomes available. Residents are encouraged to follow Thurston County Emergency Management social media channels for regular updates:Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ThurstonEM/Twitter: https://twitter.com/ThurstonEMThurston County Sheriff’s Deputies are currently in the area going door-to-door to inform people of the evacuation advisory. Riverside residents of the Nisqually Pines are urged to keep a watchful eye on the river and be prepared to evacuate on short notice, but are not under an evacuation advisory at this time. Residents can monitor river levels at: www.thurstoncountywa.gov/em/pages/rivers-graphs.aspx.County residents were notified of the evacuation advisory today at around 9:30 a.m. through the Thurston County Alert System. The notification stated that Tacoma Power will begin releasing 17,000 cubic ft. of water per second by 1:00 p.m. today from the LaGrande Dam to manage water levels due to significant water flow.To receive critical countywide TCALERT messages like this, residents can sign-up at: https://www.thurstoncountywa.gov/em/Pages/ei-alert.aspx.For more information on preparedness and having a grab and go kit, visit: https://www.thurstoncountywa.gov/em/Pages/prep-personal.aspx. Don’t forget to prepare to take your household pets with you.
Advertisement 6gp52NBA Finals | Brooklyn Vs2dqWingsuit rodeo📽Sindre E6eym( IG: @_aubreyfisher @imraino ) c7jj1vWould you ever consider trying this?😱37dCan your students do this? 🌚06lnRoller skating! Powered by Firework Master-blaster Sachin Tendulkar still shares a wonderful camaraderie with his former colleagues, as it was witnessed in a recent social media post from former Indian captain and current BCCI president Sourav Ganguly. Sachin, who is also known for his sharp humour, replied to Ganguly’s Instagram post which amused his fans all around the globe.Advertisement Picture Credit: FirstpostLast week, Ganguly posted a photo of himself on social media, captioning: “A good fitness session in a cold morning is very freshning….” to which Tendulkar replied, “Well done Dadi! Kya Baat hai.”Meanwhile, Dada appreciated this comment from his dependable batsman, replying: “@sachintendulkar… thank you champion… always was a fitness freak…. u remember the great training days?”And Sachin took no time to reply back with a hilarious banter which read: “Ye Dadi.. We all know how much you enjoyed the training! Especially ‘Skipping’.”In the late 90s and early 2000s, the phenomenal pair of Sachin and Sourav took the world by storm which is even to this day an adorable memory for the Indian fans. The duo used to open for the Men in Blues and together scored over 20 centuries, the highest by an opening pair in ODI cricket.Their lethal partnership was a headache for the opponents and it also laid the foundation of a formidable Indian batting line up. Together Tendulkar and Ganguly hold the record for the most hundred-run partnerships by a pair (26) while also scoring 8227 form 176 innings with a fantastic average of 47.55.In an interview earlier, Sourav was all praise for his partner in crime saying, “These were the moments of my career I always cherish. My batting with Sachin in one-day internationals at the top was a huge learning experience.”Sachin, on the other hand, also cherished those charming days and said, “We had terrific partnerships. there were tough moments too in the middle when we discussed how and what to do to get out of the tight situations”Nostalgia much? Yeah we’re doing the same too.You may also like:Ravi Shastri: Feud against Sourav Ganguly is only ‘chaat and Bhelpuri with mirch and masala’ for mediaSourav Ganguly to talk to Kohli, Shastri about India’s weakness in batting first in T20s Advertisement