Court summons against Emadoldin Baghi cancelled but vigilance remains

first_img A summons against Emadoldin Baghi to appear at a Tehran revolutionary court on 12 May has been suspended, following a national and international outcry, his lawyer Saleh Nikbakhata said. But Reporters Without Borders said that despite the cancellation it was remaining “very vigilant”. “The Iranian court system is capable of deciding at any moment to issue a new summons and imprison him. We call on the international community, on the eve of presidential elections, to keep up pressure on Iran, by raising the plight of all imprisoned journalists and those who suffer judicial and police harassment, like Emadoldin Baghi. “Nikbakhata told Reporters Without Borders that he had protested against his client’s sentence in December 2004 and called for his prison term to be commuted to a fine, in view of the fact that he had already been tried on the same charge.The lawyer has opened negotiations with Tehran’s prosecutor Saïd Mortazavi, who had told him he would obtain Baghi’s file from the court for “verification”.————————11.05.05 – Journalist Emadoldin Baghi faces possible imprisonment againReporters Without Borders voiced concern today about a court summons received on 8 May by journalist Emadoldin Baghi, who has been imprisoned in the past. Baghi has been ordered to appear before a Tehran revolutionary court tomorrow.”We are extremely worried by this summons, which means that Emadoldin Baghi is to be arrested again, and we call on the European countries who have began a dialogue with Iran to closely follow the case of this ardent defender of free speech,” the press freedom organization said.”We point out that the head of the Iranian judiciary, Ayatollah Mahmud Hashemi Shahrudi, recently accused the courts and the police of exceeding their authority and of abusing the law in some of the summonses they issued and the ensuing arbitrary arrests,” the organization added.Baghi was tried by a Tehran revolutionary court on 9 November 2004 for writing articles for the pro-reform press and the following month was given a suspended sentence of one year in prison. After Tehran prosecutor Said Mortazavi objected, it was changed to a year in prison with no suspension of sentence.Baghi was previously sentenced on 17 July 2000 to seven years in prison for “attacking national security” and “spreading false news.” The sentence was reduced to three years in prison on 23 October 2000, and he was released on 6 February 2003 after spending more than two years in prison.He has continued to defend human rights since his release, both as the editor of the daily newspaper Jomhuriat (“Republican” in Farsi) – which was closed on the orders of the Tehran prosecutor in July 2004 – and as the founder of an organization that defends the rights of prisoners of conscience. He was banned from travelling outside of the country on 5 October 2004.The authorities recently closed a monthly newspaper edited by his wife, called Jameh No (“New Society” in Farsi). At the start of May, Baghi and 255 other journalists signed a petition calling for a fair presidential election and the unconditional release of political prisoners, especially journalists. June 9, 2021 Find out more to go further IranMiddle East – North Africa Receive email alerts News Organisation Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists Follow the news on Iran May 12, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Court summons against Emadoldin Baghi cancelled but vigilance remains RSF_en Reporters Without Borders said that despite the cancellation it was remaining “very vigilant”. “The Iranian court system is capable of deciding at any moment to issue a new summons and imprison him. We call on the international community, on the eve of presidential elections, to keep up pressure on Iran, by raising the plight of all imprisoned journalists and those who suffer judicial and police harassment, like Emadoldin Baghi. ” March 18, 2021 Find out more News News Help by sharing this information Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 June 11, 2021 Find out more News IranMiddle East – North Africa Iran is stepping up pressure on journalists, including foreign journalists, in run-up to electionlast_img read more

Fianna Fail launches scathing attack on new Mayor

first_img Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Fianna Fail launches scathing attack on new Mayor Help sought in search for missing 27 year old in Letterkenny WhatsApp By News Highland – June 25, 2012 Fianna Fail has claimed that 32% of the voting public have been excluded after a power sharing pact saw Frank McBrearty elected Mayor in Lifford on Monday.Fianna Fail nominated Councillor Rena Donaghey for the position but Labour, Sinn Fein and the Independents stuck to an agreement which saw the Inishowen representative defeated by 17 votes to 11.Following that decision, Fianna Fail Councillor Ciaran Brogan said his party and its voters had been frozen out suggestion that his party might now not vote on key issues facing the council.And as family and friends of Mayor Frank McBrearty watched on, Councillor Brogan launched this scathing attack on the Raphoe representative:[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/ciaran1.mp3[/podcast] Pinterest Facebook Newsx Adverts 448 new cases of Covid 19 reported today Twitter Google+center_img Google+ Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Previous articleGardai investigate Annagry incident which left man with serious injuriesNext articleVerdict in Donegal priest case today News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR WhatsApp Facebook NPHET ‘positive’ on easing restrictions – Donnelly Pinterest Twitter Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson last_img read more

Utah Men’s Basketball Visits USC Thursday

first_img Written by Brad James Tags: USC basketball/Utah basketball FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailLOS ANGELES-Thursday, Utah men’s basketball (12-7, 3-4 in Pac-12 play) visits USC (16-4, 5-2 in Pac-12) as the Utes commence a 2-game road trip at Los Angeles.In his ninth season as the Utes’ head coach, Larry Krystkowiak (167-118, .586 at Utah; 209-138, .602 as a collegiate head coach) led Utah to consecutive wins against Washington and Washington State last week.Presently, however, Utah is ninth in the Pac-12 with the Trojans checking in at third prior to Thursday’s tilt at the Galen Center.The Utes score 75.4 points per game as Utah ranks 87th nationally in scoring offense.Sophomore forward Timmy Allen leads the Utes in both scoring (19 points per game) and rebounding (7.6 boards per game).Freshman guard Rylan Jones (11.1 points per game, team-bests in assists [89] and steals [22]) and sophomore guard Both Gach (10.6 points per game) also score in double figures on-average for the Utes.Freshman center Branden Carlson leads Utah with 18 blocked shots on the season.The Utes score 71.9 points per game, ranking them 245th nationally in scoring defense.The Trojans are coached by Andy Enfield (126-97, .565 at USC; 167-125, .572 as a collegiate head coach) who is in his seventh season leading the program.USC scores 73.9 points per game, ranking the Trojans 115th nationally in scoring offense.Freshman forward Onyeka Okongwu leads USC in scoring (17.3 points per game), rebounding (8.9 boards per game) and blocked shots (59).Okongwu is tied for seventh nationally in blocked shots with DePaul forward Paul Reed and McNeese forward Sha’Markus Kennedy. Okongwu and Kennedy are tied for 6th nationally in blocked shots with 3.11 swats per game.Senior guard Jonah Mathews (13 points per game) and senior forward Nick Rakocevic (11 points per game, a team-best 28 steals) also score in double figures on-average for the Trojans.Freshman guard Ethan Anderson leads USC in assists with 97 on the season.The Trojans surrender 67.4 points per game as USC ranks 130th nationally in scoring defense.The Utes lead USC 24-19 all-time and 10-8 at Los Angeles. January 28, 2020 /Sports News – Local Utah Men’s Basketball Visits USC Thursdaylast_img read more