Several residents in Weala Community, Margibi Country, have begun leaving their homes seeking refuge in surrounding communities as a result of the government’s failure to remove alleged dead Ebola victims’ bodies from the community.Speaking to the Daily Observer last Saturday at the administrative headquarters of Weala in Cinta Township, the youth chairman, Chris David, said since August 5, two persons mysteriously died and all efforts to have the corpses removed by the local administration, including health authorities, have proved fruitless.He identified the two corpses as Ellietta and Boll Tate. He said the two died in separate communities in Weala. He named Peace Community and the only private health center, the “Weala Community Clinic” that caters to residents in the area.Due to the poor sanitary condition, Mr. David stated that the clinic is currently closed and community dwellers in the area, including Peace Island residents, are leaving their homes to seek a safer environment.The situation prompted the residents to set up a roadblock on the Kakata-Gbarnga highway to compel government to remove the two corpses.“We blocked the car road and stopped all plying objects to claim the government’s attention to our plight,” Mr. David explained. “Since four days now, the two dead persons’ bodies have been decomposing, and residents in these communities can no longer bear it. So they have had to move to another area for safety. We don’t know what killed them, whether Ebola or some other disease. But no one wants to risk his/her life by being exposed to these corpses,” he explained.For her part, the head of the women’s orgaization in Weala, Madam Fatu Coleman, said since the pronouncement of President Sirleaf’s State of Emergency and the forbidding of people burying dead persons, they (residents) have been reluctant to bury anybody. She confirmed that when Ellietta and Boll Tate died, the community had communicated the deaths to local administrations, including the County Health Team of Margibi, expecting them to bury or remove the corpses and have them appropriately handled; but no word from the County Health Team has been received.The Weala Women’s leader noted that the situation is posing a serious problem to women and children in that part of Liberia. Because of the government’s refusal to remove the bodies, the owner of the only community clinic in the area has closed the place down.Madam Coleman, who hailed the government for its decision to declare a state of emergency to fight against the deadliest killer Ebola virus, called upon government put into place a workable framework that will make for the speedy removal of dead persons from communities around the country.Also speaking on the issue, the Commissioner of Cinta Township, William Julye, described the delay of the government’s burial team to remove the decomposing dead bodies in his township as a total embarrassment.Mr. Julye said he had earlier informed his boss, the Margibi Superintendent, about this urgent matter, who gave assurance that a team, including health personnel were going to remove the two dead bodies. That has not happened.As a result, residents of Weala Town on Saturday August 9, 2014 set up a roadblock preventing vehicles from plying the Kakata-Gbarnga route.The residents’ roadblock action, which lasted for over 3 hours . It was later aborted by well armed Police Support Unit (PSU).Commenting on the death of Ellietta and Boll Tate, Commissioner Julye explained that his inquiry proved that the two were relatives, that they got sick in Kakata and had gone for medical treatment in Weala.According to Commissioner Julye, the father of Boll Tate, Mr. Christopher Tate, who also works for the Salala Rubber Corporation (SRC), had told him (Julye) that Mr. Tate’s now deceased son was sick and that he (father) had suggested that his the young man go to Weala for treatment. Upon arrival, Mr. Tate allegedly hired a private nurse to treat his son. Mr. Julye pointed out that after administering several medications without eqrw results, the nurse (name not given) instructed Mr. Tate to take his son back to Kakata for further treatment. Immediately, Mr. Tate hired a Motorcycle rider, including two family members, to transport Boll Tate to Kakata.It was while they were en route to Kakata that Boll Tate died and was later taken back to Weala.Mr. Julye lamented that prior to Boll Tate’s death, he vomited and showed other signs that were symptomatic of Ebola. The Cinta Township Commissioner’s records show that prior to the deaths of Boll Tate and Ellietta, in the space of less than two months, seven family members have died in similar manner, bringing the total death toll in Weala to nine.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
– despite int’l firm facing ban, fraud charge in IndiaDespite being handed a two-year ban last week for allegedly overstating the earnings and assets of Indian software company Satyam Computer Services, the international audit firm Pricewaterhouse Coopers (PwC) on Monday commenced the process of evaluating the assets of the Guyana Sugar Corporation (GuySuCo).According to the Special Purpose Unit (SPU), which falls under the National Industrial & Commercial Investments Limited (NICIL), PwC was selected from a field of the top four international financial services’ providers, and has for the last seven years been ranked as the most prestigious accounting firm in the world.The agreement between NICIL and PwC was signed on Friday, January 12, 2018, and work commenced on Monday with meetings held between PwC and the SPU team at its La Bonne Intention offices.PwC Caribbean Partner, Wilfred BaghalooPwC will hold its first meeting with the CEO of GuySuCo today, in order to carry out the valuation of all assets. In addition to the valuation, PwC is expected to provide other advisory and financial services.Having met with the sugar company, SPU Head Colvin Heath-London has said he is encouraged that the SPU was able to get the PwC team in Guyana speedily. “With the current developments in the sugarcane sector, we are working to bring stability to the industry and affected communities as quickly as possible,” he explained.Heath-London has said, “The work of PwC, given their vast experience in this type of process, will help all decision-makers to arrive at the best decisions for the assets of GuySuCo; for other businesses that are in the GuySuCo supply chain; and, most importantly, for the workers, who are uncertain about their future.”Meanwhile, PwC’s Caribbean partner, Wilfred Baghaloo, has said he looks forward to the opportunity of working with the Government and people of Guyana to find a practical economic solution to the privatisation of the three sugar estates on a timely basis. While noting that this will be a challenging task, Baghaloo has said the PwC is equipped to ensure that the project is successful.And while PwC will be tasked with ensuring a level playing field for all interested parties and stakeholders as the process goes forward, a report originating from international news agency Reuters and other news sites in India has claimed that PwC has been handed a two-year ban last week for allegedly overstating the earnings and assets of the Indian software company Satyam Computer Services.The report states that PricewaterhouseCoopers was the audit firm at the time the more-than US$1 billion fraud occurred. It was the founder of the company, Ramalinga Raju, who blew the whistle on the fraud in 2009, costing shareholders billions and shaking the industry.Besides the ban, Reuters said, the Securities and Exchange Board of India has handed down an order for PricewaterhouseCoopers Bangalore and two of its former partners to pay 131 million rupees, or US$2 million, plus interest, in forfeited funds. This must be done within 45 days, with the ban taking effect on March 31.In its defence, PricewaterhouseCoopers is quoted as saying it would appeal the regulator’s decision in court. It has defended itself by affirming that there was no “intentional” wrongdoing in the fraud at Satyam.When asked about this issue on Monday, Baghaloo said, “I cannot comment too much on this as the matter is subject to an appeal. In summary, the matter relates to a 2009 event relating to a specific company and a specific stock exchange. We continue to service our numerous clients in India, and we continue to enjoy their support and confidence. As it relates to the task at hand in Guyana, our long history of strong commitment to excellence, integrity, innovation and quality will continue.”GuySuCo, which is saddled with billions of dollars in debt, is currently engaged in divesting its assets to get cash to meet its operational and other expenses. At the same time, Government is forging ahead with downsizing the industry, citing the economic feasibility of the sector.At present, a Special Purpose Unit (SPU) is in charge of this process. That unit was first announced by Agriculture Minister Noel Holder when he presented to the National Assembly a policy paper on the future of the sugar industry. Some $130 million have been allocated “to provide for the establishment of a Special Purpose Unit to manage the reform of the sugar industry”.In July, the Government had presented a supplementary request to tap the national coffers. The National Assembly has since approved the monies for the Unit.At the time that monies were being approved for the SPU, Finance Minister Winston Jordan had said Government was unclear as to what it was looking to earn from the sale of the GuySuCo assets, since those assets had still needed to be properly evaluated.PwC, which was awarded the$60 million contract, will lead the divestment process, including updating valuations of the assets of GuySuCo. PwC’s work on the GuySuCo project is expected to last eight months.
Winger Jacob Ojee was critical in his side’s defense at he halted Impala’s attack in the first half with two try saving tackles.Kabrsas Sugar Max Adaka leads chance for the ball against Homeboyz players. Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYAA penalty against Impala in their 22 saw Darwin Mukidza drill in three points for his side to take an early lead.With less than ten minutes to play in the first half, KCB landed their first try in the match off a maul, conversion sailing wide. The scores would remain 8-0 till the breather.A penalty against KCB saw Mark Kwemoi’s attempt at a penalty kick sail wide denying them any points on the scoreboard.KCB extended their lead as Michael Wanjala quickly sprint past two Impala defenders in their five and landed KCB’s second try; Mukidza booting in the twos.Scores remained 15-0 to full time which saw KCB secure their second consecutive Kenya Cup final.Kabras Sugar Philip Wokorach celebrates win against Homeboyz. Photo/RAYMOND MAKHAYAVisiting Kabras Sugar avenged their 30-12 regular season defeat to Menengai Cream Homeboyz, breaking away to a 29-13 result after the sides were tied 7-7 at the break.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000KCB RFC are unbeaten this season will face Kabras in the finalNAIROBI, Kenya, Mar 17 – KCB RFC and Kabras Sugar set up a repeat of last year’s final after emerging from the Kenya Cup semis victors.Defending champions KCB ended a three year wait for Kenya Cup victory over Resolution Impala Saracens, defeating them 15-0 at the KCB Sports Club in Ruaraka. They led 8-0 at half time.