JWC 2014: England retain title

first_imgThe JWC final in Auckland between England and South Africa’s U20s went right down to the wire, writes Alan Dymock in Auckland Perhaps there are only a handful of future Test stars in this side, with Maro Itoje, Earle, Henry Taylor and Billy Burns (who scored two penalties and a conversion) standing out – but that makes this win all the more encouraging for English fans.This youth team are now consistently nightmarish to face and are producing mentally tough players used to winning. Talk of an dynasty at this level may be ill-founded, but this is good news for the game in England. TAGS: Highlight LATEST RUGBY WORLD MAGAZINE SUBSCRIPTION DEALS Of course there was plenty to get excited about – Kriel’s second try was a swaying, long-range number while a penalty form well over the halfway taken by Aaron Morris was a monster – but England’s coaches will be more impressed with the control and synergy of this win. They’re at it again: England have won the Junior World Championship for the second year in a row They did it, just. England U20 won the Junior World Championships for the second year in a row after defeating South Africa 21-20.England and South Africa scored two tries apiece, but this was a game more about grit and intelligence than scoring bucket loads of tries. So while Nathan Earle dotting down at the right place at the right time and Joel Conlon dumping himself over the line were great moments for England, as was an impressively dynamic brace for South African centre Jesse Kriel, it was the little moments that secured this title.The JWC has had pundits in New Zealand wagging tongues all month as teams showed almost psychotic desire to attack. Refreshing. Fun. But it was a missed drop-goal attempt by eventual player of the tournament Handre Pollard and a crucial English scrum penalty deep in their own territory in the last five minutes that helped secure this result.last_img read more

Court summons against Emadoldin Baghi cancelled but vigilance remains

first_img A summons against Emadoldin Baghi to appear at a Tehran revolutionary court on 12 May has been suspended, following a national and international outcry, his lawyer Saleh Nikbakhata said. But Reporters Without Borders said that despite the cancellation it was remaining “very vigilant”. “The Iranian court system is capable of deciding at any moment to issue a new summons and imprison him. We call on the international community, on the eve of presidential elections, to keep up pressure on Iran, by raising the plight of all imprisoned journalists and those who suffer judicial and police harassment, like Emadoldin Baghi. “Nikbakhata told Reporters Without Borders that he had protested against his client’s sentence in December 2004 and called for his prison term to be commuted to a fine, in view of the fact that he had already been tried on the same charge.The lawyer has opened negotiations with Tehran’s prosecutor Saïd Mortazavi, who had told him he would obtain Baghi’s file from the court for “verification”.————————11.05.05 – Journalist Emadoldin Baghi faces possible imprisonment againReporters Without Borders voiced concern today about a court summons received on 8 May by journalist Emadoldin Baghi, who has been imprisoned in the past. Baghi has been ordered to appear before a Tehran revolutionary court tomorrow.”We are extremely worried by this summons, which means that Emadoldin Baghi is to be arrested again, and we call on the European countries who have began a dialogue with Iran to closely follow the case of this ardent defender of free speech,” the press freedom organization said.”We point out that the head of the Iranian judiciary, Ayatollah Mahmud Hashemi Shahrudi, recently accused the courts and the police of exceeding their authority and of abusing the law in some of the summonses they issued and the ensuing arbitrary arrests,” the organization added.Baghi was tried by a Tehran revolutionary court on 9 November 2004 for writing articles for the pro-reform press and the following month was given a suspended sentence of one year in prison. After Tehran prosecutor Said Mortazavi objected, it was changed to a year in prison with no suspension of sentence.Baghi was previously sentenced on 17 July 2000 to seven years in prison for “attacking national security” and “spreading false news.” The sentence was reduced to three years in prison on 23 October 2000, and he was released on 6 February 2003 after spending more than two years in prison.He has continued to defend human rights since his release, both as the editor of the daily newspaper Jomhuriat (“Republican” in Farsi) – which was closed on the orders of the Tehran prosecutor in July 2004 – and as the founder of an organization that defends the rights of prisoners of conscience. He was banned from travelling outside of the country on 5 October 2004.The authorities recently closed a monthly newspaper edited by his wife, called Jameh No (“New Society” in Farsi). At the start of May, Baghi and 255 other journalists signed a petition calling for a fair presidential election and the unconditional release of political prisoners, especially journalists. June 9, 2021 Find out more to go further IranMiddle East – North Africa Receive email alerts News Organisation Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists Follow the news on Iran May 12, 2005 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Court summons against Emadoldin Baghi cancelled but vigilance remains RSF_en Reporters Without Borders said that despite the cancellation it was remaining “very vigilant”. “The Iranian court system is capable of deciding at any moment to issue a new summons and imprison him. We call on the international community, on the eve of presidential elections, to keep up pressure on Iran, by raising the plight of all imprisoned journalists and those who suffer judicial and police harassment, like Emadoldin Baghi. ” March 18, 2021 Find out more News News Help by sharing this information Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 June 11, 2021 Find out more News IranMiddle East – North Africa Iran is stepping up pressure on journalists, including foreign journalists, in run-up to electionlast_img read more

Faith No More’s Mike Patton: 3 Heavy Live Performances You May Not Have Heard [Videos]

first_imgThroughout his 37-year musical career, Mike Patton has been involved in numerous collaborations with bands and artists who prefer to create and play the unusual music. Mike is well known primarily for his work in Faith No More, but his resume also features such notable acts as Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Dead Cross, Peeping Tom, Fantômas, Lovage, and many others. Whether Patton plays jazz, Italian pop, experimental rock, or experimental anything, he always holds the reputation of the unforgettable live singer—especially when the music pushes him to deliver expressive and heavy performance. You can listen to some of Mike Patton’s heavier live performances below:1. Faith No More – “Surprise! You’re Dead”Album: The Real Thing (1989)Year of Performance: 1995Level of Heaviness: 8It is extremely hard to describe the distinguishable sound of Faith No More and other San Francisco bands of their ilk without using the adjective “heavy.” Despite the fact that they have never been a metal band, Faith No More’s peculiar melodies and rhythms contain a certain dose of heaviness on pretty much every album—especially the ones made with Patton. After stepping in for the vocalist Chuck Mosley in 1988, Mike would gradually start to impress the fans with distortion in his 6-octave voice, even while singing the songs that originally contained no screams in studio versions. A great example of this difference was filmed during the tour for promoting Faith No More’s arguably the best album King for a Day… Fool for a Lifetime.Faith No More – “Surprise! You’re Dead!” – Monsters Of Rock ’95’ – Santiago, Chile [Video: FNM4EVER]2. Mr. Bungle – “Goodbye Sober Day”Album: California (1999)Year of Performance: 2000Level of Heaviness: 6It is not a secret that Mike Patton’s first band was Mr. Bungle. The group was formed in Northern California in 1985. According to Mike, he had been part of this bizarre project since his high school years. When Mike was interviewed in Brazil in 1991, the reporter asked what kind of music he was playing at that time. Mike replied, “death metal [laughs].” Mr. Bungle’s heavy sound went on to influence a number of artists. Recently, Brian “Head” Welch, guitarist of nu-metal band Korn, spoke about how much Mr. Bungle influenced the sound of the his own band.The darkest “death metal” days for Mr. Bungle were almost over when Mike gained popularity with Faith No More and went back and forth to his previous band. Nevertheless, premises of heaviness in their songs remained. A live version of “Goodbye Sober Day” is one of themMr. Bungle – “Goodbye Sober Day” – Astoria 2000[Video: arstyfairie08]3. Dead Cross – “Church of Motherfuckers”Album: Dead Cross (2017)Year of Performance: 2018Level of Heaviness: 10The most recent Mike Patton project is a hardcore band from Southern California, Dead Cross. During an interview with Henry Rollins, Mike explained how he got involved in this quartet with Dave Lombardo.He recalled,Lombardo told me ‘hey man, I got this new band’. I was like ‘Okay, wait, I want to put this out on my label!’. Months and months and months later, [Dave asked] ‘hey, would you might want to sing?’ I’m almost 50-year-old man and I was like ‘do I want to do a hardcore record? At this age? Can I do it?’ And 15 seconds later I said ‘Yes!’Back in 2008-2009, Patton was part of the production for video game Left 4 Dead, voicing a number of the game’s infected characters. After comparing these hysterical and creepy sounds with the vocal parts of Dead Cross, it is easy to notice the similarity. On the whole album, Mike manages to cope with screaming in both low and high registers.This live performance of “Church of Motherfuckers” is undeniable proof that even after 37 years of making music, Mike still has the ability to deliver expressive heaviness in his very distinctive style of singing, shouting and screaming.Dead Cross – “Church of the Motherfuckers” – PBR Halftime Show[Video: vithovenstyle][About the Author: Zack Hargrove is a professional editor who is always willing to assist anyone with writing help. Most of his topics are dedicated to music, the rock scene, and unusual ways of strengthening your scientific curiosity. You can always find him on Twitter @zackhargrovejr]last_img read more

Around the Schools: School of Engineering and Applied Sciences

first_imgFor the January Experience, Harvard’s School of Engineering and Applied Sciences (SEAS) is offering students two opportunities to “dig in.”In collaboration with the Escola Politécnica of the Universidade de São Paulo (USP) and the David Rockefeller Center for Latin America Studies’ (DRCLAS) Brazil Studies Program, 11 Harvard and 11 Brazilian students will participate in a field study course in Brazil. Scot Martin, Gordon McKay Professor of Environmental Chemistry at SEAS, will lead the course on “Energy, Water and the Environment” from Jan. 6 to 21. Highlights include a visit to a water treatment facility in São Paulo; an exploration of Itaipú, the world’s largest hydroelectric plant; and stops at oil refineries and ethanol and biofuel manufacturers.Engineers Without Borders, a student group dedicated to sustainable engineering, will use the extended winter break to continue its work in the Dominican Republic. With the guidance of Jim Rice, Mallinckrodt Professor of Engineering Sciences and Geophysics at SEAS, the team is devising a solution to clean up a contaminated water supply outside of the village of Constanza.For a full list of January Experience activities at SEAS, ranging from short courses on MATLAB to seminars on communicating science to hands-on training for computer-aided design, visit the SEAS Web site.— Michael Rutterlast_img read more

Honduran Police Chiefs Undergo Polygraph Test

first_img “All members will endure the process, according to the arranged schedule (…) This is the first step taken to evaluate the Police’s high command of operation,” Eduardo Villanueva, head of the Police Career Investigation and Evaluation Office (DIECP), said on May 6, when the process started. About 50 senior officers of the Honduran Police, including director Juan Carlos “el Tigre” Bonilla, will undergo counter drug and polygraph tests on May 6, during an institutional purging campaign, caused by alleged organized crime infiltration, official sources stated. During the so-called “confidence tests,” the police officers are tested by a polygraph or a lie detector regarding drug consumption, as well as their psychological status. Getting a polygraph test is the quickest and the easiest way to detect deception. It has been used as a pre-employment measure and as in the above case should be used during the entire course of service to continuously test and evaluate the employees for false means of income and drug-testing. Many companies like Lie Detector Test UK https://www.liedetectors-uk.com/ are providing specialized services like these in their test packages. Honduras is facing an alarming crime rate, ranking first worldwide with 85.5 per 100,000 inhabitants, according to the Violence Observatory at the National University, nearly ten times the global average. center_img Furthermore, the test also verifies the police officers’ assets to determine if they correspond to their incomes; it also verifies whether any property has been transferred to family members. By Dialogo May 08, 2013 “After concluding this stage, we will continue with 50 more, which involves subordinates and immediate collaborators, so that we can assure society that we have a transparent police force that is doing its job,” DIECP’s chief added. last_img read more