Volunteers sought to meet demands at ISPCC

first_imgLinkedin NewsLocal NewsVolunteers sought to meet demands at ISPCCBy admin – September 1, 2009 729 THE ISPCC have experienced an increase in the number of children contacting them this year, and are appealing for volunteers to help cope with demands.The Limerick branch of the society is urgently looking for volunteers to answer calls during evenings and weekends, as annual statistics show that 78 per cent of calls were answered outside the standard working hours of 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Childline supervisor at the ISPCC, Meadhbh Terry, told The Limerick Post: “The unit in Limerick is open six days a week and we need volunteers most urgently for Fridays and Saturdays.“No qualifications or previous experience are required, it is just necessary to enjoy being around children and to be interested in helping and supporting them.“Saturday is our busiest day as there are no other services available to children on this day. Social workers don’t work on Saturdays.“Childline operates 24 hours a day all year round, and we do our best to answer every call. Christmas day was one of our busiest days last year-we had more than 600 calls”.During 2009, Childline celebrated 21 years of providing a confidential phone service to all children in Ireland.This year, two new mediums of communication have also been introduced to the service; text and web support.For free text support young people can text “Talk” to 50101, and a trained volunteer will text back.Web based support called ‘One to One’ can be accessed from www.childline.ie.A young person can also post a message on the Childline message board on www.childline.ie. These messages are also responded to by trained volunteers.The ISPCC in Limerick also provides the Teenfocus service, offering mentoring and counselling to young people aged between 13 and 18, who are at risk of misusing drugs and alcohol or who are experiencing challenges at home, in school or just finding it hard to cope.Information evenings will be taking place throughout August providing information about what is involved in becoming a volunteer.Anyone interested in volunteering or looking for further information can contact the ISPCC in Limerick.Pictured – Limerick ISPCC Staff, Louise Wilkinson, Teen Focus, Maedhbh Terry, Childline Supervisor and Suzanne Slattery, Fundraising Department. Facebook Twitter WhatsAppcenter_img Advertisement Previous articleSwim abandoned over safety concernsNext articleStudents burdened with anxiety, say USI admin Print Emaillast_img read more

Reggie Wayne #87

first_imgMost of you know that Reggie Wayne was recently released by the Indianapolis Colts.  He has been a Colt for 14 years and a very good one.  After his release, he had nothing but praise for the Colts organization.  Wayne has been a class act during his career with the Colts and remains so after his release.In his letter to the fans he thanked all his coaches, especially his present coach–Pagano.  Reggie said he was a Louisiana kid and became an Indianapolis adult.  He was especially thankful to his legion of fans.  His teammates talked about how they could trust him, his loyalty to the team, and the respect they had for him.Even though Indianapolis was only his professional home, the city made him feel like he had lived there all of his life.  We need more pros like Reggie Wayne.last_img read more

Florida man arrested for allegedly spray-painting ‘B.L.M.’ at Trump National Golf Club

first_imgJupiter police have arrested the 18-year old son of former U.S. Rep. Tom Rooney after they said he spray-painted “B.L.M.” on the sign at Trump National Golf Club.“B.L.M” is abbreviation for the “Black Lives Matter” movement.Thomas Joseph J. Rooney was booked into the county jail early Tuesday. According to the arrest report, Rooney told Jupiter police he did it “because of unequal treatment in the justice system.”He faces one misdemeanor count of criminal mischief causing property damage of $200 or less, according to court records.Rooney is scheduled to appear in Palm Beach County court for a July 29 arraignment.last_img

Diamond Jo Worth casino ready to open on Monday after two month shutdown

first_imgNORTHWOOD — The Diamond Jo Casino near Northwood is making final preparations to reopen after the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the state’s casino industry for two months.General Manager Scott Smith says it’s been tough not only on the 19 state-licensed casinos, but also the casino’s employees and patrons.   “We’re in the entertainment industry and to not be able to do what we do best has been tough. Not only the property, myself, but also the team. You develop friendships through working and that’s what we miss the most is really that communication and friendships with our guests. When people walk through our doors we consider them part of our family.”Smith says despite the shutdown they’ve continued to work and prepare the casino for when the reopening day came.  “We’ve reached out to people throughout this process and guests have reached back into us, just to keep that communication going. There was a small group, essential group of us that continued to keep working at the property to make sure we kept things up and prepare for when this day comes, which is going to be Monday. What I think what people are most excited about is getting back to some sense of normalcy.”Smith says they are going to make sure it’s a safe environment for people to come and enjoy.  “Our team members will be wearing masks, and based on different jobs they have other PPE equipment that will be necessary for them to go wear. Our cleaning protocols that we have in place we feel we’re very confident with, and we’re just looking forward to getting people back to enjoy and be entertained again.”The Diamond Jo Casinos both near Northwood and in Dubuque will reopen at 8:00 AM on Monday.last_img read more

Tearful Carter’s induction into hall concludes festivities

first_imgHall of Fame inductee Cris Carter speaks during the induction ceremony at the Pro Football Hall of Fame Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013, in Canton, Ohio. (AP Photo/David Richard)CANTON, Ohio (AP) — Forcefully and emotionally, Cris Carter summed up the 50th induction ceremony for the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Saturday night.The seventh and final inductee from the Class of 2013, Carter honored dozens of people in his life who were “going into the Hall of Fame with me tonight,” as he followed Jonathan Ogden, Dave Robinson, Larry Allen, Bill Parcells, Curley Culp and Warren Sapp in being inducted.More than 120 hall members, a record, and a crowd of 11,500 was on hand at Fawcett Stadium for the golden anniversary celebration of the shrine.Hall of Fame inductees, from left, Larry Allen, Cris Carter, Dave Robinson, Jonathan Ogden, Bill Parcells, Curley Culp and Warren Sapp pose with their bronze busts during the 2013 Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Saturday, Aug. 3, 2013, in Canton, Ohio. (AP Photo/David Richard) “I appreciate the process you have to go through to get to be a Hall of Famer,” Carter said. “To be able to join these men on this stage in football heaven is the greatest day of my life.”Carter needed six tries to make the hall even though he retired as the No. 2 career receiver behind Jerry Rice. He choked back tears as he made his speech after being presented by his son, Duron, and he spoke of his problems with alcohol while playing three years for the Eagles before being released.He hooked on immediately with the Vikings and hooked onto nearly everything throw his way:  Carter finished his 16-season career with 1,101 catches for 13,899 yards and 130 touchdowns.“This game gave me identity, gave me a sense of purpose,” he said.Parcells also seemingly spoke for everyone in the Hall of Fame, and all the people gathered Saturday night.“There’s a kinship created that lasts for the rest of your life,” he said about his experience as one of the NFL’s most successful coaches.The master of the franchise turnaround as the only coach to take four teams to the playoffs, Parcells won Super Bowls with the New York Giants in the 1986 and 1990 seasons.“Every organization I worked for supported me to the fullest,” Parcells said. “Without that, you’ve got no shot.”Parcells was Coach of the Year honors in 1986 and 1994. He asked to have his bust placed somewhere near Lawrence Taylor in the hall “so I can keep an eye on that sucker.”As relaxed as if he had no one to block, Ogden became the first Baltimore Raven enshrined.  The first player drafted by the Ravens after the franchise moved from Cleveland in 1996 and was renamed, Ogden was presented by the man who made that selection, fellow Hall of Famer Ozzie Newsome, now Baltimore’s general manager.A former college shot putter at UCLA, the 6-foot-9, 345-pound Ogden starred at tackle for a dozen seasons in Baltimore, winning the 2000 NFL championship.“He is part of the foundation of this franchise, part of the reason we have two Super Bowl championships,” Newsome said.Ogden, who was given a 2013 Super Bowl ring by the team, made the hall in his first year of eligibility. He was a six-time All-Pro, made the Pro Bowl 11 times and was the main blocker when Jamal Lewis rushed for 2,066 yards in 2003.“Talent isn’t enough,” Ogden said. “A lot of people have talent, they don’t always live up to it. For me it is about maximizing, striving for perfection.”Allen, who sniffled his way through his speech, was just as dominating a blocker as Ogden. He also was the NFL’s strongest man, once bench-pressing 700 pounds, saying “I did it naturally.”A lead blocker for Dallas as Emmitt Smith became the NFL’s career rushing leader, Allen made six All-Pro squads and 11 Pro Bowls in his 14 seasons, the final two with San Francisco. He won the Super Bowl in the 1995 season and was voted into the Hall of Fame in his first year of eligibility,“I just knew I had to win every play,” he said. “That’s the reason I am here. I knew if I lost a play, I had 45 seconds to get even.”Sapp became only the second Tampa Bay Buccaneer enshrined, 18 years after Lee Roy Selmon made it. He was elected in his first year of eligibility following 13 seasons in which he went from instant starter after being selected 12th overall in the 1995 draft to Defensive Player of the Year in 1999. That season, he had 12  1/2 sacks as the Bucs won their first division title in 18 years. For his career, Sapp had 96 1/2 sacks, extremely high for a defensive tackle.“I sit here with the greatest among the great,” Sapp said, breaking into tears. “We’re here, baby.”Presented Saturday night by his 15-year-old daughter, Mercedes, Sapp made the NFL’s All-Decade squads for the 1990s and the 2000s.Sapp, who both Ogden and Allen said was as tough to handle as any player they faced, paid tribute to his roots in Plymouth, Fla.“That dirt road was something rough,” he said. “We sure turned it into something special.”Robinson became the 12th inductee from the vintage Packers coached by Vince Lombardi to be enshrined. Robinson was a prototype outside linebacker who could rush the quarterback, cover tight ends or running backs on pass plays, and stop the run. He made the NFL’s All-Decade team of the 1960s and won three NFL titles, including the first two Super Bowls.“This is the biggest day of the 21st century for the Robinson family,” he said, adding that he “lives 25 miles from here but it took me 38 years to get here.“Now, I am immortalized.”As is Culp, one of the game’s most dominant defensive tackles for much of his 14 pro seasons, including the 1969 season when he helped Kansas City win the NFL title.A five-time Pro Bowler, Culp also played for Houston and Detroit, retiring in 1981, then waiting more than three decades to be enshrined Saturday as a senior nominee.“It gives me joy and inspiration that will last the rest of my life,” Culp said. “I am just overwhelmed by the struggles, joys and tears of those who made it here. I’m happy to join them in the Hall of Fame.last_img read more

Read why Kapil Dev is skeptical about MS Dhoni’s comeback into the Indian side

first_imgAdvertisement Mahendra Singh Dhoni who is enjoying an indefinite sabbatical cricket, won’t be able to make a fitting come back on the pitch just because he hasn’t played for a long time – according to legendary Indian all-rounder Kapil Dev. In an interview on Monday, Dev raised doubts over Dhoni’s future in international cricket; a topic already being debated by both cricket administrators and fans throughout the country. Advertisement Picture Credit: Cricket Country“I don’t think you can come back from anywhere after not playing for so long,” said Dev.“If you haven’t played cricket for so long then I don’t think you can come back from anywhere. But he still has IPL, his form there will be important and selectors should see what is best for the country,” he added.Advertisement One of the most successful captains of the country, Dhoni, hasn’t donned the national jersey since India’s semi-final loss to New Zealand in the ICC Cricket World Cup last year.“Dhoni has done a lot for the country but when you don’t play for 6-7 months, you leave a doubt in everyone’s mind. And then that creates a lot of discussions which shouldn’t happen” India’s first World Cup- winning skipper declared.Advertisement The 38-year-old, Dhoni was omitted from BCCI’s list of centrally contracted players last month something which was coming as he hasn’t represented the country for several months.After the semi-final loss, Dhoni skipped the Caribbean tour, followed by the home series against South Africa, Bangladesh, the West Indies, Australia and the ongoing New Zealand this year.However, coach Ravi Shastri believes that, even though Dhoni might end his ODI career soon; he could be well in contention for a spot in the T20 World Cup to be held in Australia later this year, provided he performs well in the IPL.The legendary wicketkeeper-batsman guided India to two world championships in the form of 2007 World T20 World Cup in South Africa and the 2011 ODI World Cup at home. You may also like:See what golden advice Kapil Dev gave young Rishabh PantChahal points out Dhoni’s seat in team bus and reveals that it still remains unoccupied Advertisementlast_img read more

FilmOneFest Sunday Night in Atlantic Highlands

first_imgATLANTIC HIGHLANDS – Film fans will be able to sit under the stars Sunday n ight to see a selection of “short-short” films of no more than 2 minutes during the FilmOneFst.The film festival was originally scheduled for Saturday night but organizers have postponed it until the Sunday night rain date because of strong storms forecast for the area.In the event of rain or high winds on Sunday, the festival will be held at the Charles Hesse Parish Hall, 55 South Ave.The awards ceremony, slated for 11 a.m. Sunday, will take place at that time.This free town-wide celebration of film has become an exciting exhibition of the art of filmmaking and a must-attend event at the shore. Filmmakers from around the world and across the country are showcased on a giant outdoor screen.FilmOneFest begins at 7 p.m. in the municipal harbor, with artists and craftspeople exhibiting and demonstrating their creations. Stilt-walkers, face-painters, and clowns will be present for the children to enjoy. Live music provided by the Matt Wade Band, and local restaurants will offer dishes for all tastes.Admission and parking are free. Audience members may bring their own lawn chairs and blankets. A limited number of premium seats are available to purchase at FilmOneFest.This program is sponsored by the Atlantic Highlands Arts Council and is made possible in part by the Monmouth County Arts Council through funding from the Monmouth County Board of Chosen Freeholders, the County Historical Commission, and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts/Department of State, a Partner Agency of the National.last_img read more