Fire damages Felida home
No cause had been determined Friday night for a fire that left the home of a Felida family uninhabitable.Sandra Scovil, who was the only person at home Friday afternoon, left for 20 minutes, said Dawn Johnson, spokeswoman for Clark County Fire District 6. When she returned home from the store at about 2 p.m., she found the house filled with smoke.Scovil went to a neighbor’s house to call 911, Johnson said.The first unit from Fire District 6 that arrived found the house at 3405 N.W. 122nd St. filled with smoke.“The smoke alarms were sounding when they arrived,” Johnson said.“It started in the living room,” Johnson said. “That’s where the fire damage was. There was heavy smoke damage throughout the house. They won’t be able to get back in right away.”The house was occupied by Scovil, her husband, Eddie, and their daughter. Firefighters also rescued a pet gecko from the house, Johnson said.Northwest 36th Avenue was shut down as the firefighters worked in the split-level home in a cul-de-sac about two blocks west of Thomas Jefferson Middle School.Fire District 6 was assisted by units from Clark County Fire & Rescue and the Vancouver Fire Department.The family is being assisted by the American Red Cross, Johnson said.A damage estimate was not available Friday night.