After helping Montserrado County to reach the semi-finals of the ongoing National County Sports Meet, forward Musa Jabateh is now confident about his team’s qualification to the finals as they face Margibi in today’s semi-final match.It has been a colorful and entertaining competition so far since the tournament reached the last eight teams and today’s games also promise to be intriguing.According to the 19-year-old forward, his team cannot afford to miss out on retaining the title.Montserrado won the competition last year for the first time in 60 years after 4-2 post-match penalties against Maryland County at the Antoinette Tubman Stadium.“We are the champions and the people of Montserrado County are looking up to us to retain the title and I am confident that we are going to retain it,” he said.“I know Margibi is one of the tough opponents in the competition and we cannot overlook them. Today’s match will be an intriguing one and we will become the victors,” he added.This will be the 19-year-old’s second consecutive appearance in the semis with two different counties. He was part of Nimba County’s squad that bowed out in the semis of last year’s county meet against Maryland County.Jabateh, a forward at the newly promoted 3rd division championship side, Downtown FC, has been one of the driving forces behind Montserrado’s progress to this stage of the competition. He was a threat to River Gee’s defense for he created several chances from both flanks in the team’s 5-0 thrashing of Southeasterners.Both counties advanced to the quarter-finals as winners of Group II with five points apiece. This will be their second meeting after their goalless draw in the preliminary rounds. It will also be a repeat of last year’s semi-finals when Montserrado booked their ticket for the final after a 5-3 win in post-match penalties.If the result goes his team’s way, it will be the forward’s first appearance in the grand final of the competition.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
After years of anticipation, Digicel Guyana is now breathing a sigh of relief, saying that it welcomes the passage of the Telecommunications Bill, which legislated the liberalisation of the sector.Digicel CEO Kevin KellyGTT CEO Justin Nedd“The passage of this Bill is the first step in the long overdue ending of the telephone monopoly, which is a laudable achievement and a position that Digicel supports,” Digicel Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Kevin Kelly said.He added that the communications giant would now await engagement with the Government to discuss its licence and regulations for an open competitive sector.“We believe this will create a competitive sector and will result in many benefits in terms of new and improved services for the people of Guyana.”Telecommunications Minister Cathy Hughes was the key speaker in Parliament on Monday when the Bill was read for the second and third time. It was first introduced in 2011 and revised in 2013, and had been at the level of a Special Select Committee in the 10th Parliament. The Bill addresses concerns, including those of the industry’s stakeholders and will break the more-than-20-year monopoly.In her presentation, Hughes pleaded with the House for it to recognise the importance of information and communication technology as the transformational agent for the overall improvement of citizens’ lives and the building of a 21st Century economy.According to Hughes, the eagerly-anticipated landmark legislation will provide for an open, competitive telecommunications sector where new market entrants and investors will be attracted to invest in the country.However, the rushing through of the Bill did not go down well with the Opposition which pointed out that certain sections of the Bill needed to be reviewed.“We are taking all the powers and putting it monopolistically in the hands of the Minister…their powers are too much and too great for the Ministers,” Opposition Member of Parliament Irfaan Ali argued, stating that the Bill was moving the monopoly from a company straight into the hands of the Minister. He further stated that the passage of the Bill in its present state would move the country backwards from a “monopolistic position to dictatorship”.However, Hughes argued that with the passage of the Bill consumers would be given more options and access to reliable and advanced telecommunications services.After six hours of debate with eight speakers and back and forth heckling, the Bill was passed.GTT, formerly the Guyana Telephone and Telegraph Company, which had a legal monopoly on international voice and data transmissions and the domestic wireline service, has always declared that the sector was free because of the existence of other service providers.The company, in a full-page ad, welcomed the passage of the Bill, saying it would lead to lower international rates, faster Internet, better customer service and a wider range of products. GTT also said it would discuss the issue at a press conference today.
New Houston/Versailles Bridge… says traffic woes will return By Jarryl BryanA recent feasibility study undertaken by Dutch consultant LievenseCSO has recommended a retractable, low level Demerara River Bridge at a proposed site spanning Houston, EBD and Versailles, WBD, but an important stakeholder is of the view that the recommended model is not feasible.President of the Region Three Chamber of Commerce and Industry Radesh RameshwarIn an interview with this publication, President of the Region Three (Essequibo Islands/West Demerara) Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Radesh Rameshwar, raised several concerns pertaining to the proposal. According to Rameshwar, the design will only cater for short term traffic control, rather than long term.“We are very happy that the feasibility study has been completed, and we are happy to know that it would be three lanes,” Rameshwar said. “(But) we were hoping that it could be four lanes because, at the Demerara Harbour Bridge, which is two lanes, many times they have to close off traffic at the eastern or western end for both lanes to go one side, thereby hindering traffic from the other side.“In my opinion, it will solve the problems we have now,” the business executive emphasized, “(with) two lanes for the peak and one lane coming from the other direction. But what is going to happen in 10 to 15 years from now? Every year we are having 10,000 vehicles on average entering this country.”Rameshwar has said that with the amount of motorists expected to increase over the next decade, there will come a time when the very bridge being proposed would be inadequate. He used the present Demerara Harbour Bridge as an example.“(That) bridge was built in the 70s, and at the time it was built, the volume of traffic was not that (much). Now, over the years, (the volume of traffic) has grown significantly, and that is what has caused the problems here,” he explained.Rameshwar noted that a new bridge for the Demerara River would ease the problem for Region Three. “But we strongly believe that this is going to ease the problem probably for another ten years. With the amount of money we will be investing as tax payers to pay back the loan for this bridge, we feel that instead of a three-lane, it should have been a four-lane (bridge).”Fixed vs retractableThe feasibility study and design for the new Demerara River Bridge, which had reportedly cost some $146.3 million, was on Wednesday presented to Minister within the Public Infrastructure Ministry, Annette Ferguson.The 57-page final report was done by Dutch company LievenseCSO. The project team had included officials from the Demerara Harbour Bridge Corporation and Transport and Harbours Department.It is understood that the feasibility study determined that the proposed location of Houston-Versailles was the most ideal. It was further noted that the bridge should be a low-level one with a movable part and three lanes. But Rameshwar pointed out that this still leaves the problem of traffic build-ups.“That obviously is going to hold back traffic,” he said. “It is going to continue to disrupt traffic and disrupt business people in Region Three. Because of the limitations of the Demerara Harbour Bridge and the volume of traffic, business on the West Coast has been affected.“Many times you have to put aside an entire day if you just want to go to Georgetown to procure some items to bring it back over the West Coast, because of the bridge and the traffic situation,” the executive observed.2013 studyAnother study had been done back in 2013, when the Demerara Harbour Bridge Corporation had collaborated with the then Public Works Ministry to carry out a pre-feasibility analysis. That study had concluded that a ‘fixed high level’ bridge was the best option to pursue, rather than the retractable model, echoing the recommendations of today made by Rameshwar.The “fixed high level” option would ensure that traffic would be able to flow even while boats passed underneath the structure. At present, the bridge operates according to schedules, in order to cater for riverine traffic.This has traditionally resulted in a rush hour and lengthy traffic lines, as motorists hurry to catch the bridge before it closes. It was to solve these traffic woes and address the advanced age of the Demerara Harbour Bridge that a new bridge was contemplated in the first place.According to the 2013 report, consultations were carried out with various private sector agencies and non- governmental organisations (NGO) representing cross sections of the production and manufacturing sectors in Guyana.Those consultations, the report detailed, were to obtain valuable data to complete the report, introduce stakeholders to the new Demerara River Crossing concept, and garner feedback that could potentially influence the project.The agencies the Ministries of Public Works and Finance engaged were the Private Sector Commission (PSC), Georgetown Chambers of Commerce and Industry (GCCI), Guyana Manufacturing and Services Association (GMSC), Guyana Shipping Association (GSA), Guyana Lands and Survey Commission (GL&SC), Guyana Association of Professional Engineers (GAPE).According to the report, these stakeholders “indicated a strong desire for a new fixed bridge structure across the Demerara River. The new structure would not only relieve road and marine traffic congestion, but would also facilitate and catalyse improved mobility, sector growth, and planned development at the Georgetown Harbour.”
After seeing a handful of teams drop out of the league over the past couple of years, the North Peace Hockey League is getting two back for this season. The league’s membership now stands at eight after the league has confirmed the Dawson Creek Canucks and High Prairie Regals will be on the ice.The league has also confirmed the yet to be released schedule will consist of 26 games, with contests being broken up into six games against each divisional opponent, and two games each against the four teams from the opposite division.The Fort St. John Flyers will be in the west division with the Dawson Creek Canucks, Grande Prairie Athletics, and Spirit River Rangers.- Advertisement -It’s anticipated the league will formally release the schedule for the season on Sunday.
LOS ANGELES – Wrapping up the loose ends of a case, veteran prosecutor Phil Wojdak needed to verify a witness’ claim of seeing a sexual assault. So he climbed over the kitchen sink of an apartment, scooted out the window and scaled the slanted roof to get a better feel for the situation. With a detective’s assistance, Wojdak concluded the witness was reliable. The vantage point was clear. Such a meticulous re-creation would be less than remarkable for most hard-working prosecutors – just part of the job. But Wojdak is blind. “I did it so I could understand it, so I could explain it to a jury,” he said of his rooftop exploits, which helped convict a man of sexual assaulting his own son. For 22 years, Wojdak has worked for the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office. “His blindness doesn’t affect him in any way,” said Denis Leeds, a clerk in Pasadena Superior Court where Wojdak’s cowboy boots and diamond-stud earring are a familiar sight. “He’s very aggressive. He’s very passionate about his cases.” And while some might see his blindness as a major obstacle, Wojdak, 49, said it gives him an advantage. “When the jury sees that the prosecutor is a blind person, I’ve got their interest,” said Wojdak, who belongs to the 200-member National Association of Blind Lawyers. The Chicago native wasn’t supposed to be a lawyer. Had he not lost his eyesight at 16 – a condition linked to his mother’s bout with German measles during pregnancy – he would have followed his father and four brothers into the family’s rare-coin business. “You have to be able to see coins in order to tell if they’re real or not,” he said. His blindness made academic work difficult. He almost dropped out of college because of the pressure. He later worked for a Superior Court judge, writing a guide on rules for allowing hearsay evidence in court. Armed with recommendations from professors and a district attorney, Wojdak got a job as a county prosecutor. Over the last 22 years, he’s won about 80 percent of his cases. firstname.lastname@example.org (818) 713-3635160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
TAYLOR, B.C. – While it’s said that applying garlic is the method of choice to repel vampires, it turns out that it is also incredibly effective at warding off blood suckers of the non-fictional variety.The District of Taylor has had quite the mosquito problem this year, but the garlic-based mosquito spray that they have chosen seems to be working. Mayor Rob Fraser says the district’s ball diamonds have now been misted with the 99 percent garlic spray, and a second application is planned.District councillors have been assured the spray can kill mosquito larvae while leftover sulphers, undetectable by humans, can deter adult mosquitoes for weeks. Floods and heavy rains delayed the experiment but Fraser says Taylor residents are generally pleased and some have even bought the product and sprayed it themselves.- Advertisement -According to Fraser, the next phase is to figure out the budget going forward to do larger areas, as the natural repellent is more costly than chemical-based pesticides. He says that if the second application goes as well as the first, council will have to decide on a budget to expand the project in 2017.
It’s the start of a tough couple of weeks for Tottenham, beginning with the Europa League last 32 first leg match against Fiorentina.Thankfully for Spurs fans, manager Mauricio Pochettino has a full strength squad to pick from due to a free weekend following their FA Cup exit.“Everyone is fit – this is important – and now I must pick the players for Thursday night,” Pochettino said.“It’s difficult for me to select the squad but that’s a good problem to have.”Possible Tottenham XI: 1 Tottenham manager Mauricio Pochettino has a full squad to pick from 1 VIDEO: THE FIORENTINA GOAL THAT MADE THOUSANDS OF SPURS FANS SMILEWest Ham visit White Hart Lane after the Italian side, so the manager may save players for the London derby. Nabil Bentaleb, Ben Davies, Mousa Dembele, Erik Lamela – who knows Fiorentina well from his time at Roma – and Federico Fazio are waiting in the wings, but with Mohamed Salah now playing, Danny Rose and Kyle Walker are ideal full-backs to combat the winger’s pace.Up front for Spurs, Nacer Chadli and Andros Townsend’s speed could prove tricky for Micah Richards and Stefan Savic.
There was no fairytale for Ulster Senior League champions Cockhill Celtic in tonight’s FAI Cup.Donal O’Brien’s team put up a great performance but lost 4-2 against last seasons cup finalists, Drogheda United.Declan O’Brien put the Premier Division side ahead before Gerry Gill equalised from the penalty spot for the Inishowen men. Cockhill were in dreamland when Gerard McLaughlin put Cockhill 2-1 up at the start of the second half.But the Louth team showed their experience with Declan O’Brien netting two before Gavan Holohan added another to make it 4-2 on the night. FAI CUP: DREAM OVER FOR COCKHILL CELTIC DESPITE HEROIC EFFORT was last modified: June 7th, 2014 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Cockhill CelticdonegalDrogheda Utdfai cup
The ARTBOX is a place where parents/carers can come together to engage in exploratory/creative art activities alongside their children whilst at the same time socialise with their peers and make.It is based at the CDP building on Chapel Road, Dungloe and has been developed to support the work of PLAYMATTERS.There is currently a breakfast session happening on Monday mornings from 10 – 12 in the CDP building in Dungloe. If you’re interested just come along with your children and see what’s happening.It’s a very relaxed group costing €2 per child This covers all art materials, drinks and a snack. Worth remembering …it can get messy so dress for a mess. DD LOCAL: DUNGLOE COMMUNITY NEWS was last modified: September 20th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:DD LOCAL: DUNGLOE COMMUNITY NEWS