Ziff Davis Enterprise Gets 20M in Funding

first_imgB-to-B publisher Ziff Davis Enterprise announced that it has received $20 million in funding from global investment group Bessemer Venture Partners. According to ZDE CEO Steve Weitzner, the funding will “significantly accelerate the pace at which we can innovate and grow to best meet the challenging needs of our subscriber and b-to-b technology marketer client communities.”ZDE hopes to use the money to fuel acquisitions and further develop its initiatives in audience development, social media and contextual content, the company says. Private equity group Insight Venture Partners purchased Ziff Davis Enterprise from Ziff Davis Media last June for $150 million. Weitzner joined ZDE as CEO in January after his transition from CEO to head of international M&A and business development at former CMP Technology late last year.last_img read more

2020 MercedesBenz CLA says so long to entry level with 3000plus price

first_imgNot so entry-level anymore. Mercedes-Benz When the Mercedes-Benz CLA first arrived in the US, it marked a big shift for the German luxury brand. The C-Class was no longer the gateway model and the CLA was priced aggressively to start just around $30,000. That figure is long gone, friends.For 2020, Mercedes-Benz said in a Thursday release that the CLA will cost $37,645 after a $995 destination charge. For starters, that’s almost $7,000 more than what the first CLA cost originally. Secondly, that’s a pretty hefty price bump over the 2019 model. Buyers will fork over $3,550 more for the new model. Add all-wheel drive and buyers will flirt with $40,000 for a base model at $39,645.To be fair, the CLA does differentiate itself from the brand’s new entry-level model, the A-Class. For starters, the CLA comes with a 2.0-liter turbo-4 engine that musters 221 horsepower and 258 pound-feet of torque. In contrast, the A-Class’s 2.0-liter turbo-4 makes just 188 hp and 221 pound-feet of torque. The CLA is also larger than before and boasts that swankier coupe-like look that’s all the rage these days.Standard equipment for all CLA models includes 18-inch wheels, LED headlights and taillights, a 7-inch digital instrument cluster and a matching 7-inch touchscreen for infotainment purposes. The brand’s latest infotainment system, MBUX, is also on board with its “Hey Mercedes” command ready to answer your questions and assist. Additional driver assistance packages and premium goodies will increase the CLA’s price well past $40,000 before other fees and taxes.Is all of it too pedestrian, perhaps? There will also be Mercedes-AMG models to heat things up. The CLA35 and CLA45 models will boast 302 hp and nearly 400 hp, respectively.  Prices aren’t available for the sportier of CLAs, but expect healthy premiums over the standard car. Buyers will find the regular CLA arriving at dealers this fall. 0 2019 Cadillac Escalade review: Large, luxurious and long in the tooth More From Roadshow Preview • 2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 first drive: Now actually feels like a premium car Post a comment The 2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA250 is more design-focused than ever Mercedes-Benz Luxury cars Sedans 2019 Mercedes-Benz S560 Coupe review: Still the luxury benchmark 38 Photos 2020 Mercedes-Benz GLE450 review: More luxurious and techy than ever Share your voice Now playing: Watch this: Tags 2019 Mercedes-Benz A220: The entry-level luxury sedan… More about 2020 Mercedes-Benz CLA-Class 6:01 Mercedes-Benzlast_img read more

Robert Pattinson — From a sparkling vampire to a billionaire bat

first_imgRobert Pattinson as BatmanBossLogic (@Bosslogic/Twitter)Robert Pattinson is officially set to star as Bruce Wayne aka Batman in the upcoming Matt Reeves-directed The Batman movie. Twilight fans from around the world are overjoyed with this casting update and some are even stating that now they have a reason to watch DCEU movie featuring a billionaire orphan who turns a vigilante to avenge the murder of his parents.In the upcoming DCEU movie, there a lot of things which are at stake. If we go in the past and check then apart from Aquaman and Wonder Woman, all the recently released superhero flicks have failed to impress the audience. Ben Affleck’s portrayal of Batman in several DC movies was appreciated by fans but the script and screenplay were not up to the mark.When it comes to Batman, everyone (both Marvel and DC fans) talks about Christopher Nolan’s Batman trilogy. In those three films, we got to see how a superhero can actually relate to everyone. Those movies gave the antagonist some ideologies and it is always a tough task to beat the villain if he has his own philosophies, consider Thanos for that matter. Christian Bale breathed life into the character and we keep on talking about his for the generations to come. Hiring Robert Pattinson to play Bruce Wayne is surely a gamble for Warner Bros. who wants to press the reboot button on their superhero movies.Over the years, Robert Pattinson has proved that he is not only an actor with some sharp jaws that can cut throats or someone who had a high romantic endeavor with his former Twilight co-star. After wrapping up Twilight saga, Robert did star in several projects which brushed his acting skills and even enhanced him as a person. A still from Christopher Nolan’s The Dark Knight RisesThe Dark Knight Rises, FacebookIn The Last City of Z, we got to see an extremely different side of Robert Pattinson. The 2016 film starred Charlie Hunnam in the lead role but it was Robert’s portrayal of Henry Costin that won applause. If this was not enough, then Robert amazed everyone with his brilliant performance in science-fiction movie High Life featuring him as a former criminal who is now on a voyage into deep space. The movie was well received by the critics and everyone appreciated Robert Pattinson’s performance.With films like Cloverfield, Let Me In, and Planet of the Apes II & III, Matt Reeves has proved that he knows his art and knows what he has to do to make a great cinema. Even he knows what is at stake here and chances of Robert Pattinson’s Batman movie going south are pretty slim.Robert Pattinson’s The Batman movie is currently under preproduction and as of now, there are other actors to be cast. The upcoming DCEU movie is scheduled to be released in the United States on June 25, 2021. It will be amazing to see how an actor who once played a vampire could actually become a bat.last_img read more

What if Sachin Tendulkar had retired after 2007 World Cup How would

first_imgJORGE FERRARI/AFP/Getty ImagesSome weeks ago, Sachin Tendulkar made a major revelation. He informed the cricket world that after India’s forgettable experience in the 2007 World Cup, he was seriously considering retirement from the game. What stopped him from hanging up his boots was advice from Sir Vivian Richards and his elder brother. What happened afterwards is, as they say, history.But here is an interesting and stimulating question: what if Tendulkar had gone ahead and retired? This bit of counter-factual history is worth exploring. Would he still have been regarded as the greatest Indian batsman of all time? Would he have still been considered among the greatest batsmen in the history of the game? Let’s try and imagine that scenario.If Sachin had called it quits in 2007, his record would have been something like this: 135 Tests, 10668 runs, 54.70 average and 35 centuries. In ODIs, the record would have been: 384 matches, 14847 runs, average of 44.05 and 41 hundreds.Needless to say, the record would still have looked mighty impressive. But cricket isn’t only about numbers and stats. The way a batsman has scored his runs matters as much, if not more, in the game. If Sachin had called it a day in 2007, he would have been seen as a batsman who debuted in 1989, dominated the 1990s, continued his good form in the early years of the new century but started to fade away from 2002. Some of Sachin’s finest moments came after 2007PRAKASH SINGH/AFP/Getty ImagesHe would also have been remembered as a player who could tear the bowling attacks apart but chose to become the team’s sheet anchor and play within himself in later years. Besides, there would have been no first ODI double hundred, no World Cup victory, no century in the final of the tri-series in Australia, no famous hundred at Chennai in the aftermath of the 26/11 attacks, and no high-quality duels with Dale Steyn, etc.What happened after the World Cup was the resurrection of Sachin Tendulkar. He not only regained his appetite but also starting achieving the sort of things which he hadn’t earlier. The post-2007 period also saw the flair returning to the game of the Little Master. He was once again showing that dominant streak that characterised his batting in 1990s and made him a superstar.But if he had retired in 2007, he would have ended his career with much less sheen. Yes, Sachin would still have been a legend and counted among the best, but he wouldn’t have reached those unique heights of success that, to some extent, define his career. As Indians, let us all be grateful to Sir Viv for persuading him to continue playing cricket.last_img read more

Venezuelas military backs Maduro

first_imgDemonstrators clash with police during a protest against Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro`s government in Caracas, Venezuela on 23 January 2019. Reuters File PhotoVenezuela’s powerful military threw its weight behind president Nicolas Maduro on Thursday as the US-backed opposition leader Juan Guaido pressed a direct challenge to his authority, and the fate of the crisis-wracked country hung in the balance.As the death toll from days of street protests jumped to 26, a defiant Maduro announced the closure of Venezuela’s embassy and consulates in the United States, a day after president Donald Trump’s administration declared his regime “illegitimate.”The oil-rich but economically devastated country was plunged into uncertainty Wednesday when Guaido, the 35-year-old head of the National Assembly, proclaimed himself “acting president” — earning swift endorsement from Washington and a dozen regional powers including Brazil, Argentina and Colombia.Maduro’s re-election last year was contested by the opposition, and criticised internationally — but the socialist leader has until now retained the loyalty of the powerful military, whose response was being keenly watched.Flanked by military top brass, Defence minister Vladimir Padrino, himself a general, declared the 56-year-old Maduro “the legitimate president” — and vowed to defend his authority against an attempted “coup d’etat.”Following Padrino’s lead, eight generals in turn reiterated their “absolute loyalty and subordination” to the socialist leader in messages carried on state television.And the Supreme Court — made up of regime loyalists — doubled down by reaffirming its allegiance to Maduro’s “legitimate authority.””A coup is brewing in Venezuela with the consent of foreign governments,” charged the court’s president Maikel Moreno.’Debate is done’In a Skype interview with Univision, Guaido said he did not rule out including Maduro in an amnesty he is offering for military and civilian officials who lead a transition in Venezuela. But he said such an option would have to be evaluated because, he said, Maduro is responsible for the death of protesters.Analysts at the Eurasia Group consultancy noted that while international recognition of Guaido as Venezuela’s interim president cemented his position as the main opposition leader, he had failed to win over senior elements of the military.In that light, “Maduro’s fall does not appear imminent,” the analysts wrote.In Washington, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo kept up the pressure on the leftist leader, as the United States called for an emergency UN Security Council meeting on the crisis.”The time for debate is done. The regime of former president Nicolas Maduro is illegitimate,” Pompeo said in a speech to the Organization of American States, warning him against the use of force towards demonstrators.A furious Maduro on Wednesday issued US diplomats a 72-hour deadline to leave the country, and on Thursday said he was recalling all Venezuelan diplomats from the United States.The State Department meanwhile ordered its non-emergency staff to leave Venezuela but refused to comply with a full expulsion, saying it would maintain diplomatic ties with “the government of interim president Guaido.”Trump meanwhile has openly mused about military intervention in Venezuela, saying “all options are on the table,” and analysts suggest he could consider further economic sanctions against the country, a third of whose oil production goes to the US.The Republican president has found rare support from the Democratic Party over Venezuela, but one prominent dissenting voice was independent Senator Bernie Sanders.”We must learn the lessons of the past and not be in the business of regime change or supporting coups — as we have in Chile, Guatemala, Brazil and the Dominican Republic,” the 2016 presidential hopeful said in a statement, while also condemning Venezuela’s crackdown on protesters.Outside South America, the United States has been joined by Canada and Britain in recognising Guaido as Venezuela’s interim leader, while France has also rejected Maduro’s legitimacy.Security forces run after a demonstrator during a protest of opposition supporters against Venezuelan president Nicolas Maduro`s government in Caracas, Venezuela on 23 January 2019. Reuters File PhotoBut both Russia and China and have thrown their weight behind the embattled Maduro.Russian president Vladimir Putin called Maduro to express support, charging that the “crisis has been provoked from the outside.”China, Venezuela’s main creditor, opposed “interference in Venezuelan affairs by external forces.”Maduro has retained the support of Mexico, Cuba and Bolivia, all led by leftist governments.Military support keyMaduro has presided over a deepening economic crisis that has left the country facing shortages of basic necessities such as food and medicine.Some 2.3 million people have fled the country since 2015, according to the United Nations. Inflation is forecast to hit 10 million percent this year.Guaido’s bold move capped three days of high tension that began Monday when a group of soldiers took over a command post in the capital Caracas and rose up against Maduro.That uprising was quickly quashed and officials said 27 people were arrested but it set off a wave of smaller protests that were met by security forces using tear gas and rubber bullets.Wednesday then saw the first mass street protests in Venezuela since a crackdown on anti-government protests between April and July 2017 claimed the lives of 125 people.Leading figures around the world have appealed for calm to avoid a repeat of the bloodshed — as a Caracas-based NGO, the Social Conflict Observatory, said 26 people had been killed since this week’s protests began four days ago.Speaking at the World Youth Day in Panama, Pope Francis’s spokesman said he was “praying for the victims and for all the people of Venezuela.”last_img

As Perry Visits The Energy Corridor How Is The Oil And Gas

first_imgListen 00:00 /04:37 U.S. Energy Secretary Rick Perry is visiting Houston’s Energy Corridor today. His itinerary includes a roundtable discussion with oil and gas executives about how the industry’s faring. He’ll also visit BP to learn how that company is recovering nearly a year after Harvey.In the audio above, Houston Matters host Craig Cohen learns more about today’s visit and how the industry’s doing almost a year after the storm from Loren Steffy. He keeps tabs on developments in the energy industry as the managing director for 30 Point Strategies, a writer-at-large for Texas Monthly, and a columnist for Energy Voice.com. Share X To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code:last_img